The View from the Firehouse


The one thing that is universal in fire stations the world round, is usually late at night there is a deck of cards, a pot of coffee and two or three fire fighters sitting around solving the worlds problems. It’s just a shame that no one listens to us.

Friday, June 24, 2005

The Consequence of Sin part 2

All sin no matter how “big” or “small” has consequences attached to it. Yesterday I showed you a few of the examples that are in the Bible. I learned this the hard way this past week. Thankfully the consequence of my sin was small, but it could have been much worst.

My family and I went on a picnic. The location we picked was going to involve a 60 mile round trip journey. On the way to Blueberry Lake, I noticed I was a little low on fuel. My wife also noticed this and she was quick to let me know that I hadn’t filled up my tank before we left.

Ok, I should probably define low on fuel. You know that last line on your fuel gauge fight before empty; it’s the “hey you’re fixin to run out of gas” mark. That’s were the needle on my gauge was sitting. A normal person getting ready to go on a trip makes sure they have enough fuel to get there and back, but no not me. As soon as my wife said something a light went off, fellows you know the one, it’s you’re a woman and you don’t have a clue what you talking about. This is my truck and I know it better than anyone. And that was my decision I looked at her and said we have more than enough to make it there and back. So we’re driving and all the while I’m mentally convincing myself that we did in fact have all the fuel we needed.

Well do you know what happens as soon as I turn on the dirt road leading to the lake, the “hey idiot this is your last warning fill me up or you’re walking”, low fuel light comes on. So now I have two voices holding a conversation in my head. One was saying to the other you’re screwed, there ain’t no way your making it back without having to walk, to which the other replied don’t listen to him you’ll be fine. So now instead of having a nice peaceful lunch with my family I was stressing and wondering what I was going to do if I did in fact run out of gas on the way home.

To help make this long story ,short, I got very lucky and we made it back to a gas station with no problem. This time the only consequence to my sin was a little unneeded anxiety. Some of you my be wondering why am I making a mountain out of a mole hill. All I’m trying to do is illustrate my point. If I had swallowed my pride, I would have had a much nicer trip.

# Posted by Alyfireman :: 1:00 AM :: |
---------------oOo---------------
Comments: Post a Comment